Tuesday 22 June 2010

Greenery again


On through Cassiobury, where Londoners of all species really do make the most of their green spaces. Our early start was helped by a swan who – while pretending to be picking weed from the side of our boat – was actually just pecking away for attention and food. Boaters on low-carb diets like us must be a tremendous disappointment for waterfowl – there is absolutely no bread on board this boat. Sorry, buddy.

It was the warmest day of the year so far today and this heron was sunning himself when we came past...

...and this one stood his ground as we approached for as long as possible, but the spaniel coming up from the opposite direction was just too much so he took off at the last moment.


On through Hemel Hempstead to moor just short of Berkhamstead for the night. I was particularly pleased with myself when a patron of the Three Horseshoes at Winkwell stood up to congratulate me on how brilliantly I had handled the boat through the swing bridge there, but I guess you don't need to sit on the patio there for very long to see some howling examples of poor navigation. Not from me, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment