Wednesday 21 September 2011

In the woods

I've written in the past about how the local woods have been bought by a wildlife charity and are being managed for diversity.  The latest phase in attracting the locals to come take a look is a sculpture trail that includes some spectacular totem poles depicting local wildlife (I think).  Further along are some giant ants made from willow with a curiously out of proportion ant hill of wood shavings.
It is nice that they've been there for a while without anyone feeling the need to paint them, or destroy them!  Of course they are a fantasy, as insects with no circulatory system are limited in size by the rate that oxygen can diffuse into their tissues from their spiracles, so there are firm limits on the size they can achieve.  Not a lot of peole know that, or at least not a lot of 1950's horror film producers.  This one however leaves me cold, even if a bench is provided so that you can sit and admire it.
I may not know much about art, but I know what I don't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment